Thursday, August 7, 2008

Hi from SoCal


I can't believe it's been this long since I last posted. Wish I could tell you I've been out of town, or busy in town, but the truth is, I've just been hanging out. I have been working on trying to develop a class or two, finished one of the pod projects for the jewelry challenge, and have been reading a bit. I've been combing through my art books for some inspiration and direction. I'm trying to look within and get accountable for myself (urghhhh!). Summer is my least favorite season of the four. It's hot, it can be humid, and I just feel very lazy and not very productive. My time in the summer makes me feel like I am just waiting. I don't know what I am waiting for (fall?), but maybe in the natural rhythm of cycles, we need this down time, too. What are your thoughts on the season of summer?

4 comments:

Fanciful Expressions said...

Summer? I'm with you on that. It's hot,humid and generally quite sticky. My favorite place is on the inside(where it's 70 degree's)looking out.Keep cool if you can and wait for fall.

Tamsie said...

Summer, you ask. Well, bring it on. Heat, humidity, summer rains, summer lightening storms. I love every minute. Of course, my summer is off-set with a bazillion days of winter. I do not like winer in Minnesota. I'll take sweat running down my legs over windchill that makes my eyeballs freeze.
I can keep going but will leave it at that.
31 days until I'm on that plane to France! But, who's counting?

beautifullybrokenme said...

I agree with you on the summer thing. Here in AZ summer is like winter in most other places. I have to say, however, that it is definitely more bearable for me here than it was in Houston when we lived there. The heat here is really hot - don't get me wrong - but there isn't the opressive humidity to go with it (or the ginormous mosquitos for that matter).

As for inspiration and direction, when I am stuck, I go to my son or husband to give me a random word to use as a jumping off point. (It is usually something really off the wall like "college-ruled paper" or "pencil nub", but it will take me off-guard and pull me out of my blocked state.) Somehow, focusing on a specific word sets the rest of my mind free, and I am able to find my inspiration again.

I hope you find your inspiration again soon, but in the meantime, enjoy your quiet, calm, summery down time. There is always a reason for it, and when you discover what that is, you will be filled again with the need to create.

Molly :-)

Psalm 46:10

Anonymous said...

This summer has been so humid and I hate it. I had so many projects I wanted to finish (and start) but with the hot, thick air it just didn't happen. Thank goodness, August seems cooler and I almost feel fall in the air. Fall is my favorite time of all.

I think down time is good for the soul. I am glad you allowed yourself to just be.